Main menu

SOCIAL WORK SERVICES – Mt Druitt Palliative Care Unit

What does a social worker do?

Social workers in palliative care are available to support and assist patients, families and carers with the practical, emotional and social issues that may arise when living with a life limiting illness. 

How can a social worker help?

A social worker may be able to help with adjustment to illness, impact on relationships, grief and loss, having to leave work, study or other social activities, carer stress and support, housing,  practical, legal and financial concerns. 

A social worker may help by offering support and counselling, planning your discharge from hospital, providing information on a range of resources available (within hospital and local communities), or by acting as an advocate  both  within  the health system and other community organisations.  An advocate empowers you to identify your rights and responsibilities, assists you to uphold your rights and may speak on your behalf to promote your rights. 

Who can access this service?

A social work service is offered to patients of  the Western Sydney Supportive and Palliative Care service. 

If you are an inpatient at the Palliative Care Unit at Mt Druitt Hospital and you would like to see the social worker, talk to your nurse or other members of the treating team and they can make a referral. 

If you are an outpatient of the Supportive and Palliative Care service and live within the Blacktown Local Government Area, you can refer yourself or be referred by your community nurse, Palliative Care specialist doctor, GP or family members.  Referrals  are accepted  for patients, family and carers.

How to contact?

The Palliative Care Unit Social Worker  can be contacted  on:

9881 1784 or 9881 1695, Monday to Friday from 8-5pm. 

The social worker offers consultation over the phone, or in person at the Palliative Care Unit (corner of Luxford Rd and Railway Street, Mt Druitt).  Where appropriate, home visits may be arranged.  

Visit us on Facebook